The HUUSD School Board met in person (with an option for remote participation) Wednesday, January 31, 2024.
The meeting began with public comment:
- Superintendent - Dr. Mike discussed his written report and answered questions from Board members. Dr. Mike then announced that John Kerrigan has decided to retire from his coaching career at the end of this school year; several Board members spoke highly of Coach Kerrigan.
- Board Reports - Ashley provided a report on recent public Bond informational meetings.
- Student reps reported on their bond presentation plans.
- Bobbi provided an update on professional development training plans.
Topics for discussion:
- Revised Logo - Dr. Mike provided examples of potential logos based upon feedback received at previous meetings; members were in general agreement regarding their preference.
- Capital Improvement Plan - Lisa and Ray provided an update on FY24 expenditures related to capital plans and an overview of the upcoming maintenance needs through FY28. Ray and Lisa received input from and answered questions.
- Budget - Lisa spoke of potential legislative changes that may affect FY25 budgets, and revised her previous recommendation. The recommended budget includes placing $1M in the Maintenance Reserve Fund and transferring the FY23 fund balance of $535K into that fund as well for a total budget of $50,844,703.
- Board members discussed presenting the budget to the community and strategies for reducing the impact to taxpayers in the future years if the legislature does not take steps to resolve education funding.
In action items, the Board:
- Approved a motion to warn for deletion policy E3 Financial Reports and Statements
- Approved a motion to approve for warning policies
- H3 Community Use of School Facilities
- F5 Education Records
- F7 Student Alcohol and Drugs
- F19 English Learners
- F21 Firearms
- Approved a motion to act by Australian ballot on the following proposition: “Shall the voters of the school district approve the school board to spend $50,844,703, which is the amount the school board has determined to be necessary for the ensuing fiscal year?”
- Approved a motion to hold the Annual Meeting on Monday, March 4, 2024 at 6:00 pm via Zoom and in the HUHS Library
- Approved a motion to request voters to assign $535,000 to the school district’s Maintenance Reserve Fund per 24 VSA 2804
- Approved a motion to approve the Annual Meeting Warning and Budget Warning for FY2025
Board Members present: Mike Bishop (Fayston), Danielle Dukette (Fayston), Kelley Hackett (Waterbury), Life LeGeros (Duxbury), Jake Pitman (Waterbury), Kristen Rodgers (Moretown), Bobbi Rood (Waitsfield), Tori Taravella (Waterbury), Cindy Senning (Duxbury), JB Weir (Waitsfield), Ashley Woods (Warren), Jonathan Young (Warren)
The public information sessions regarding the Harwood Bond ended with a Zoom meeting on January 30. The survey will be open through Friday, Feb 2. Harwood students will be holding student run meetings next week with TA groups to get student input. The HUUSD Bond committee will meet this week to tally results.
The Board welcomes feedback from our community and one of the easiest ways to share your thoughts is to send an email to [email protected], which will go to every Board member. Additionally, at the beginning of each Board meeting we invite public comment. Alternately, reach out to one of your neighbors who is on the school board and share your thoughts in a personal email or phone call (see a list of Board members and contact information at https://tinyurl.com/523wtrnj).
The Board’s next meeting will be on Wed, Feb 14 at 6:00 PM. Community members may attend in person in the Harwood library or remotely via zoom (https://us02web.zoom.us/j/386460007#success), or watch it broadcast live on Youtube (http://tinyurl.com/huwebapp-youtube-live). Agendas and other related documents are available at huusd.org.