The HUUSD School Board met in person (with an option for remote participation) last Wednesday, January 25, 2023.
The meeting began with public comment on the subject of restraint and seclusion from the following people:
- Erin Hurley from the Waterbury Anti Racism Coalition
- Guy Stephens of The Alliance Against Seclusion and Restraint
- Brian Dalla Mura
- Student Representatives discussed the Winter Ball, school spending, and effective programs.
- Superintendent Mike updated the Board about restraint/seclusion, PCBs, intradistrict choice, and more.
Topics for Discussion:
- Licensed staff approvals by the Board
- Board members offered suggestions regarding workforce diversity and the timing/logistics of hiring.
- Restraint/Seclusion Task Force Mid-Year Report
- The task force discussed trainings that have been held and other behavioral support efforts in the District.
- Restraint/Seclusion Subcommittee report on policy
- Committee members presented a current draft of the revised policy. They sought input from the Board regarding a ban on the use of prone and supine restraint in District school buildings as well as limiting the use of seclusion to specific children whose medical/psychological needs indicate it as being necessary/beneficial.
- Lisa explained the challenges associated with a level service budget and then presented impacts of a “not to exceed 5%” total budget and an “all Inclusive” total budget. It was agreed to move forward with a level service budget. The Board agreed to transfer any fund balance to the maintenance reserve fund.
In Action Items, the Board:
- Approved a motion to accept the resignation of Mr. Tom Drake, principal of Crossett Brook Middle School effective June 30, 2023.
- Approved the HUUSD notice of Annual Report and FY2024 Budget.
The board is seeking interested community members to participate in the co-principal interview committee. If you would like to be part of this vital and exciting process, please email Dr. Mike Leichliter at [email protected].
As always, the Board welcomes feedback from our community. One of the easiest ways to share your thoughts is to send an email to [email protected], which will go to every Board member. There is also time at every Board meeting for public comment. Alternately, reach out to one of your neighbors who is on the school Board and share your thoughts in a personal email or phone call (see a list of Board members and contact information at https://tinyurl.com/523wtrnj).
The Board’s next meeting will be on Wednesday, February 1, 2023 at 6:00 p.m. Community members may attend in person in the Harwood library or remotely via zoom (https://us02web.zoom.us/j/386460007#success), or watch it broadcast live on Youtube (http://tinyurl.com/huwebapp-youtube-live). Agendas and other related documents are available at huusd.org.