The HUUSD School Board met in person (with an option for remote participation) last Wednesday, December 7, 2022.
The meeting began with an opportunity for public comment. There were no public comments.
- Jody Emerson from the Central Vermont Career Center (CVCC) presented the organization’s proposed FY2024 budget. Board members had an opportunity to ask questions.
- Lisa Mason and Kim Laidlaw presented the Evaluation Timeline for the Superintendent. This first year is slightly truncated due to the shortened time period for the Superintendent and Board to complete an evaluation. The committee will continue its work to develop ongoing (not truncated) schedules for future years and create an evaluation tool.
- Superintendent Mike Leichliter’s report updated the board on the gym floor replacement, which is nearing completion. He also presented recent school events, including a thank you card from Moretown faculty and staff for the HUUSD board’s ”snack” gifts, the recent successful Socrates Café, and the sophomore class Christmas tree sale.
- Director of Finance, Lisa Estler, discussed the negotiation of a new lease for the Central Office. Lisa also presented a first draft of the FY2024 budget. Board members had the opportunity to ask questions. They also had specific suggestions about information they would like to see in the next draft presentation.
Topics for Discussion:
- Central Office Lease: Discussion about the new lease included questions from board members about other options. Most alternative options had already previously been explored.
- First review of FY2024 budget: This was primarily an expense review as information for income is not yet available. There were no income offsets to the expenses. For this preliminary draft, the goal is level funding. There was some discussion about ESSER funded positions.
- A motion to adopt the Superintendent Evaluation Timeline passed.
- A motion to approve Policy E20 Communicable Disease for warning passed.
- A motion to approve warning for deletion of Policy F17 Head Lice and E21 HIV/STI Prevention passed.
As always, the Board welcomes feedback from our community. One of the easiest ways to share your thoughts is to send an email to [email protected], which will go to every Board member. There is also time at every Board meeting for public comment. Alternately, reach out to one of your neighbors who is on the school Board and share your thoughts in a personal email or phone call (see a list of Board members and contact information at https://tinyurl.com/523wtrnj).
The Board’s next meeting will be on Wednesday, December 21, at 6 p.m. Community members may attend in person in the Harwood library or remotely via zoom (https://us02web.zoom.us/j/386460007#success), or watch it broadcast live on Youtube (http://tinyurl.com/huwebapp-youtube-live). Agendas and other related documents are available at huusd.org.