The HUUSD School Board met in person (with an option for remote participation) last Tuesday June 13, 2023.
The meeting began with public comment:
- Sarah Ibsen spoke in support of not having the two middle schools merge.
- Brian Fleisher offered comments regarding several aspects of the upcoming bond vote planning.
- Jonathan Clough offered comments regarding public outreach in relation to the bond vote planning.
- Alexandra Thomsen offered comments regarding the process of making a decision regarding reconfiguration.
- Elizabeth George offered comments regarding Covid protocols in the district.
- Superintendent – Dr. Mike did not have a report for this particular board meeting, and instead asked if board members had any general questions for him. Board members did not have any questions at this time.
- Director of Finance – Lisa discussed the FY24 Tax Anticipation note bids, the FY24 heating oil bids, the FY24 propane bids, and spoke of the woodchip bid approval.
Topics for discussion:
- Food Service Presentation - Erika Dolan and Paul Morris provided information related to the District’s food services, including details regarding Waitsfield/Fayston food preparation and service, and answered questions.
- Lead School Nurse - Allison Conyers provided an end-of-year update regarding district health priorities, services and trainings, and answered questions.
In action items, the Board:
- Approved continuation of the existing grade configuration of HUMS/HUHS as a grade 7-12 campus for the purpose of bond planning.
- Appointed Ashley Woods and Cindy Senning to the Bond Leadership Team.
- Approved an hourly proposal from TruexCullins for bond work.
- Approved the Fire and Emergency Preparedness Drills Policy and the Access Control and Visitor Management Policy for warning.
The Board was introduced to Kate Liptak, Moretown Principal; Bethany Turnbaugh, Assistant Harwood Principal; and Jen Durren, Crossett Brook Co-Principal.
Board Members present: Ben Clark (Moretown), Danielle Dukette (Fayston), Kelley Hackett (Waterbury), Jake Pitman (Waterbury), Kristen Rodgers (Moretown), Bobbi Rood (Waitsfield), Cindy Senning (Duxbury), Tori Taravella (Waterbury), JB Weir (Waitsfield), Ashley Woods (Warren), Jonathan Young (Warren)
The Board welcomes feedback from our community and one of the easiest ways to share your thoughts is to send an email to [email protected], which will go to every Board member. Additionally, at the beginning of each Board meeting we invite public comment. Alternately, reach out to one of your neighbors who is on the school board and share your thoughts in a personal email or phone call (see a list of Board members and contact information at https://tinyurl.com/523wtrnj).
The next meeting will be the School Board’s annual retreat on June 28, 2023 from 5pm to 9pm at the Mad River Barn. Agendas and other related documents are available at huusd.org.