HUUSD WINTER SPORTS & EXTRACURRICULAR EVENT EXPECTATIONS
HUUSD, in collaboration with other school districts in our region, will be following these common Indoor Winter Sports/Extracurricular Event Expectations. Given the dynamic nature of this pandemic, these expectations are subject to change based on rates of community transmission, state and federal guidance, and other unforeseen factors.
Masks will be worn by all student-athletes, coaching staffs, referees, and spectators during indoor practices, competitions, and games, regardless of individual vaccination status. Exceptions to this are limited, but will include:
- Athletes participating in indoor track events – both practice sessions and meets/competitions – so long as physical distancing is maintained between individuals using staggered starts or other means
- Athletes participating in wrestling, gymnastics, cheer and dance skills, and events that require inversion (i.e., wrestling, tumbling, vaulting, bars, etc.)
- Spectators are allowed. There is not a limit on capacity as long as compliance with expectations of distancing and masking (regardless of vaccination status) are followed. If expectations are not followed, future events may shift to limited spectators or none at all.
- Spectators are expected to be distanced from those not in their immediate family.
- Masks will remain on at all times, unless eating in a designated eating area.
- There will be signs to identify sections for seating. Spectators/audience need to take note as to what section they are in for purposes of contact tracing; HUUSD will not be documenting seating during the event. Please note that currently, the VDH has indicated that due to the large number of COVID-19 cases, the health department is limited in the contact tracing they are able to conduct. Anyone testing positive for COVID-19 who attended an HUUSD organized events during their infectious period (2 days prior to COVID test if asymptomatic and 2 days prior to start of symptoms if symptomatic) is asked to contact our district COVID coordinator, Allison Conyers, at [email protected], 583-8027.
- Attendees will be respectful and leave space between their family and others.
- With large gatherings where an audience is allowed, vaccination status of attendees will not be collected. All other safety measures will be employed at these events where audience contact with students is highly limited and audience attendance is optional. Contact with students in the building during the school day, or for student related meetings, will continue to be limited to individuals who are vaccinated (see HUUSD 2021-2022 COVID Safety Protocols).
If you have specific questions, please contact your school’s principal or Athletic Director.