The HUUSD School Board met in person (with an option for remote participation) Wednesday on March 22, 2023.
The meeting began with public comment from Brian Dalla Mura on the topics of restraint and seclusion.
- The students gave a report covering the Rwanda trip, spring sports, and many other activities throughout the school as well as efforts to increase student engagement with the Board.
- Superintendent Dr Mike gave a report on the schools’ achievements, the projected 2023-2024 school calendar, and preschool numbers for the coming year.
- Finance Director Lisa Estler provided her report on the transportation contract, Waitsfield kitchen bid, expenses for the Maintenance Reserve Fund, Town Meeting day vote results on the budget, and the most recent Audit.
Topics for discussion:
- Board chairs discussed protocols and expectations for current board members.
- Ms. Estler and Ray Dagle gave an update on the maintenance work that is needed throughout the district and a proposed three-year capital project plan.
- Dr. Leichliter, Jess Dean, and Megan McDonough provided a Quarterly Report with information about progress toward the Superintendent’s goals.
In action items, the Board:
- The board approved the following motions:
- Adopt Title 1 policy
- Schedule a board meeting for April 4, 2023 to approve the 2023-2024 maintenance plan and hire a co-principal for CBMS
- Approve the Waitsfield Kitchen Bid in the amount of $879,318
- Approve the Audit from RHR Smith
- Approve the Director of Multi-Tiered System of Supports job description
- Approve the Professional Staff Employment and Change in Status of Individuals for the 2023-2024 school year.
As always, the Board welcomes feedback from our community. One of the easiest ways to share your thoughts is to send an email to cen-huusdb[email protected], which will go to every Board member. There is also time at every Board meeting for public comment. Alternately, reach out to one of your neighbors who is on the school Board and share your thoughts in a personal email or phone call (see a list of Board members and contact information at https://tinyurl.com/523wtrnj).
The Board’s next meeting will be on Tuesday, April 4, 2023. Community members may attend remotely via zoom (https://us02web.zoom.us/j/386460007#success), or watch it broadcast live on Youtube (http://tinyurl.com/huwebapp-youtube-live). Agendas and other related documents are available at huusd.org.