Request a Preferred Name/Pronoun

HUUSD is committed to fostering a school culture that respects and values all students. 

HUUSD recognizes that some students may prefer to identify by a first name and/or middle name other than their legal name. Additionally students may prefer to be recognized by a gender identity different from that noted on their birth certificate.

Therefore, the HUUSD has created a process by which students can request a preferred name/pronoun.

A legal name change is separate from the process described here. That legal process is completed with the county district court.


  • Students over 18, or under 18 with the permission of parent/guardian, can request use of a chosen name and/or gender identity.
  • The preferred name/gender identity will be used in many school contexts, such as class rosters, student informational systems (i.e., Powerschool), student IDs, and school Gmail accounts.
  • HUUSD is required to use a student’s legal name for official records such as transcripts and state standardized testing platforms; however, whenever reasonably possible, a student’s preferred name/gender identity will be used.  

Direct questions about this process to the school administration and/or guidance department.