The HUUSD follows the guidance published by the United States Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Service entitled "Accommodating Children with Disabilities in the School Meal Programs: Guidance for School Food Service Professionals." The document explains that the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 distinguishes between:
Definition of a disability
- A physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities of such individual
- A record of such an impairment
- Being regarded as having such an impairment
Definition of a general health concern
- A preference that a child eat a specific diet because the parent or guardian believes it is healthier for the child
In a disability situation, as described above, the HUUSD will require a medical statement to make a meal modification. A general health concern is not a disability and does not require schools to make a modification.
HUUSD Procedure to Request Meal Modifications
The HUUSD has adopted the procedure below for parents/guardians to request meal modifications for their students with disabilities.
- Download this Special Dietary Medical Statement created by the Vermont Agency of Education Child Nutrition Programs.
- Ask your child's doctor to complete the form, if necessary. The form is a fillable pdf, if you download it and open it with Adobe.
- If a child's IEP or 504 already contains the specific meal modification required, the parent/guardian only needs to complete the top of the form and submit via the Google form, below.
- If a child's IEP or 504 does NOT contain the specific meal modification required, the HUUSD requires the information on the form and that the doctor sign by hand or use a signature stamp in the Signature field.
- Complete the Google form to finish the process. Google FORM
- You will need to upload the Special Dietary Medical Statement signed or stamped by your child's doctor (if signature required).
- Complete the Google form even if your child's IEP or 504 already contains the information about the meal modification.
- The school will follow up with the doctor as necessary.