Request Meal Modification

The HUUSD follows the guidance published by the United States Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Service entitled "Accommodating Children with Disabilities in the School Meal Programs: Guidance for School Food Service Professionals." The document explains that the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 distinguishes between: 

Definition of a disability

  • A physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities of such individual
  • A record of such an impairment 
  • Being regarded as having such an impairment

Definition of a general health concern

  • A preference that a child eat a specific diet because the parent or guardian believes it is healthier for the child

In a disability situation, as described above, the HUUSD will require a medical statement to make a meal modification. A general health concern is not a disability and does not require schools to make a modification.

HUUSD Procedure to Request Meal Modifications

The HUUSD has adopted the procedure below for parents/guardians to request meal modifications for their students with disabilities.  

  1. Download this Special Dietary Medical Statement created by the Vermont Agency of Education Child Nutrition Programs.
  2. Ask your child's doctor to complete the form, if necessary. The form is a fillable pdf, if you download it and open it with Adobe.
    • If a child's IEP or 504 already contains the specific meal modification required, the parent/guardian only needs to complete the top of the form and submit via the Google form, below.
    • If a child's IEP or 504 does NOT contain the specific meal modification required, the HUUSD requires the information on the form and that the doctor sign by hand or use a signature stamp in the Signature field. 
  3. Complete the Google form to finish the process. Google FORM
    • You will need to upload the Special Dietary Medical Statement signed or stamped by your child's doctor (if signature required). 
    • Complete the Google form even if your child's IEP or 504 already contains the information about the meal modification.
    • The school will follow up with the doctor as necessary.